Friday, September 12, 2008

Treasured Tomes


I grew up with some books by Beatrix Potter that were my grandfather's. As he was killed in an amunition plant explosion when my mother was still a tot, you can imagine his own childhood books were a much prized momento. I managed to find a copy of one of the books he had, Tim Tubby Toes, by Harry Golding, from a bookseller in England, which is where my grandfather's family used to live, and I believe the books were sent to him as a child here in America. I have also bought a copy years ago, of a battered " The Tale of Miss Tiggy Winkle " also by Ms Potter. And another favorite of mine is "The little Wooden Doll" by Margery Williams Bianco. These treasured tiny tomes are inspiring me to write now. I am writing something very personal and magical for a surprise I will share with you when the time is right! It's going to be quite special. It's raining now, the hummingbird is at the bottle, the one with the egyptian eye make-up. And the most lovely mossy green and bright gold warbler is about. They are migrating through, and distracting me! Well, off I go to write. PS... for more about Margery Williams Bianco
so here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margery_Williams
She also wrote "The Velveteen Rabbit".

1 comment:

Folksie Linda said...

Hi Pam, wow that is wonderful to have your Grandfather's books.. i am very sentimental in that way too... i will have to look into the little wooden doll... i have never seen that one before and just love books! They take you away to a different place and are so enchanting... i always loved the Grimm's Fairy tales.. you wee little penny dolls are just adorable.. and thank you so much for thinking of my dh.. he is in pain and I feel so bad for him..but in time he will be better than before I am sure. He is strong too and doesn't ever complain. that was very sweet of you. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and know I am thinking of you. Hugs, Folksie Linda